Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Carhenge

The day before yesterday, I actually put in some good miles, almost 500, and made it most of the way across Wyoming. The ride was awesome, and took me through the Tetons and the Wind River range. I pulled in to Lusk, WY to spend the night, near the Nebraska border. When I got off the bike though, I found that my back tire had worn completely through.

I knew I wasn't going to get many miles out of this tire (it was a softer rubber, designed for a sport bike, but that's all that was available at the time so I took it), but I never expected this to happen. I was kind of worried about what to do, because Lusk is a very small town with no motorcycle shop, and I didn't know how far I could get on that tire before it failed. The heat at 100 degrees wouldn't help. After a little internet searching, I found a shop in Scottsbluff, NE, that was about 100 miles away, and they had a tire that would fit. Luckily, the tire made the trip, they were able to replace it that day, and a minor crisis was averted.

After the tire was fixed, I headed north to Alliance, NE and stopped at the famous Carhenge. Then, headed east on Rt 2 through some amazing scenery and wound up in Broken Bow, where I am now.



Rest stop in a small NE town.




1 comment: