Monday, August 13, 2012

Waiting for the Boat

Yesterday I camped just outside Whittier after an amazing ride from Mica.



Campground outside of Whittier


To get to Whittier you have to go through a 2.5 mile long tunnel. The thing is, the tunnel is narrow, so it goes one direction for about 30 minutes, then cars going the other way go through. I've got some video I'll post later.

So I wanted to be in line early at the Alaska Marine Highway System office to increase my odds of getting a spot. I was 2nd in line behind a cool guy named Dan with a truck. He'd been travelling all over Alaska and even did some prospecting. He showed me his vial of gold dust that he had recovered. In any case, I got on the stand by list and they told me I'd find out at 9pm if I got on or not, and the ship sails at 11:45 pm. It's going to be tough killing a day in Whittier. Not much going on here.

1 comment: