Thursday, June 7, 2012

Camping in FL, Houston

I camped for the first time on this trip in the Torreya State Park in FL. I found it by just looking at my road  atlas, but I also have a cool app for my phone that detects your location and tells you where nearby campgrounds are. It was a nice campsite but really hot and muggy, not many people there as it was a weekday I guess.

Arrival at the Campsite

Campsite
Luckily they had cold showers.

Dinner
For dinner I had dehydrated Katmandu Curry--pretty good.

Longest Ride Ever

I left the campsite Tuesday morning (5 June) and headed for League City near Houston to see Air Force friends from LA. It was a grueling day of 13 hours and 700 miles, with lunch and stops. Not a typical riding day I hope. I arrived around 9:30 pm CDT and was quickly introduced to Steve and Christie's 2 chocolate labs, Tek and Remy. And then, while unloading my stuff, I quickly let them escape out the back door into freedom. So for the next half hour the three of us stalked the two dogs around the neighborhood until they were finally convinced to surrender in exchange for some treats. When we got back to the house Christie put me in a 43-minute time out at the bottom of the stairs, one minute for each year of my age--apparently that's the standard rate for time outs.

Had a great visit, met the kids Sully and Ian, and Steve and I went to Boondoggle's for a great lunch--I had jambalaya pizza, delicious.

Steve and his Doodads

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the gear is working well. Noted that there were some delays on Google Latitude vs. inReach. Great reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, yeah mostly the gear is working great, it's just making a point to use it. I think I have the Latitude thing ironed out now, we'll see.

      Delete