Saturday, June 30, 2012

Run to Deadhorse

I made it to Mica Guides today, which is in Glacier View, AK and where my friend Don is who owns the guide service that takes climbers out on the glacier where I took pictures in 2010. I came straight here without going to Fairbanks because I thought I had already blown my timeline for getting my Iron Butt certification--you have to go from Key West to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay) in 30 days. Well I left DC on May 29th and mistakenly assumed I'd blown it already. But I didn't leave Key West until June 3rd. So I have until July 3rd to get to Deadhorse, which is about 24 hours of riding from here, or 825 miles. I've come this far so I'm going to go for it and leave tomorrow morning. The Dalton Highway which leads to Deadhorse is mostly dirt and gravel. I'd be better off on a dual-sport bike rather than my street one, or at least have better tires for dirt, but I'm going to try anyway. I may not make it, but I won't know until I get up there.

Glacier View (A) to Deadhorse (B): 825 miles

View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. Andy - is there a point on your route when you know you'll no longer be connected to ... the "civilized" world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically the stretch between Coldfoot and Deadhorse, which is 240 miles, is devoid of any services or population. My gas tank, at 6.6 gallons and 40 mpg, is just big enough to make it without having to carry extra gas. Also, luckily I have my camping gear and food so if for some reason I was stranded I should be ok. Except for bears.

      Delete