Monday, June 4, 2012

Tampa

Yesterday I left Brent's house and rode to Key West, the true start of my trip to Alaska, and I'm starting to worry--my butt is really saddle sore, and I'm starting to like it. Kind of like the time I worked out once; I was sore the next day but it felt good. Ok anyway the ride yesterday was almost 450 miles and I rode from about 8am to 7pm. It took a little longer since I had to backtrack from Key West. But man it was a nice ride through the Keys, then the Everglades, and around 4pm as the sun was getting lower, it was a great ride into the Tampa area. That FJR is just an amazing machine, cruising at 80 with no effort whatsoever, eating up miles.

My favorite part of the day starts around 4pm when the sun gets lower and the light becomes amazing. By then I'm usually on a stretch of empty road with nice scenery and just loving it. One thing I've noticed already is that there is about half as much traffic everywhere than in DC. It was Sunday in Tampa, but still, the roads were clear and it was easy to get around.

Below is a little riding footage from my trip from the Keys to Tampa:

10 comments:

  1. andy this is awesome. i love checking where you are each day. love the wee videos also. maybe you could try and interview some people along the way? or just do something funny - you are good at that!
    cheers
    graeme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks man. I will try to think of something off beat to film. Hadn't thought of videoing an interview but just might try it.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding footage. Traffic absolutely sucked this evening here in DC, accident on 395 caused all kinds of delays. Make sure you enjoy the lack of traffic.

    Ordered some Ram Mount stuff so I can mess with the GoPro too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's weird how most places don't have traffic, it was a huge revelation to me. And definitely get those RAM mounts, and the suction cup.

      Andy

      Delete
  3. Andy: My son, John, told me about your trip so I wanted to follow your progress. I really enjoy seeing the videos and pictures and reading your comments, especially because I also drive an FJR. You are doing what a lot of us only dream of doing. Be careful, enjoy the trip of a lifetime, and keep the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim thanks for the note and for following along. Isn't the FJR great? I've been very comfortable and really enjoying the performance. Are you on the FJR forum?

      Andy

      Delete
    2. I am on the site, but only occasionally. I might be more active now that I know someone on a ride. BTW, I'm interested in knowing what kind of seat you have for such a long ride and what tires you are running. I only got 3500 miles on my front Battlax.

      Delete
    3. Jim,

      When I bought my FJR used it already had an aftermarket seat by World Sport. It's pretty good, but my butt still hurts after a few hours. I'm hoping I'll get used to it over time. Everyone on the forum swears by Russel seats, so maybe I'll try that some day. I've also heard sheepskin is helpful.

      I put on a new pair of Michelin Road Pilot 3's, which have been great. They have hard rubber in the middle and soft rubber on the edges, so the idea is that they wear longer. I'm hoping to get 10,000 miles out of them. Previously I had RP2s and was happy with those, probably got 6k+ out of those.

      Let me know if you have any other questions, I love talking about this stuff.

      Andy

      Delete
    4. I'm glad to hear that the Russel seat gets high marks. I have been looking into that seat and hope to get one this winter. My son, Jim, who drives a BMW 1200GS bought a Russel seat last year and swears by it.

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! Amazing footage. I am really enjoying your updates and seeing where you are each day. Holly

    ReplyDelete